On April 13, the U.S. and its imperialist allies, France and Britain, launched what was reported to be around 100 missiles on targets in Damascus. The following statement was immediately issued by Spring Actions 2018, a broad national antiwar coalition that is endorsed by over 200 organizations and prominent activists, including Socialist Action and the United National Antiwar Coalition (UNAC).
The bombing of Damascus is underway. With no legal authority and in clear violation of international law, the Trump Administration has started its criminal attack on the people of Syria with the largest U.S. Navy task force, including U.S. nuclear aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines, since the attack on Iraq in 2003. Trump’s and the Pentagon’s criminal attack on Syria endangers us all.
It is time for all of us to express our strong opposition to the U.S. bombing of Syria and the endless U.S. wars.
Join hundreds of antiwar and social justice groups that are organizing demonstrations in:
• New York City, Oakland CA, Minneapolis, and dozens of other cities across the country on Sunday, April 15, and
• Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit and Washington DC on Saturday April 14
All organizations are urged make an all out effort to contact friends and activists through social media and other means and encourage them to join the actions this weekend and mobilize to oppose this criminal war.
See SpringAction2018.org for a list of all actions this weekend.
Demands for the April 14-15 actions include:
– End U.S. overt and covert wars, drone wars, sanction/embargo wars, and death squad assassination wars.
— Close of all U.S. bases on foreign soil. Dismantle all nuclear weapons.
— Bring all U.S. troops home now. Self-determination not military intervention. U.S. hands off the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America. End military aid to apartheid Israel. Self-determination for Palestine. The U.S. cannot be the cop of the world.
– $Trillions for human needs … for jobs and social services, quality debt-free education and single payer health care. No to anti-union legislation. For $15 and a Union Now.
– Defend the environment against life-threatening fossil fuel-induced global warming. For a just transition to a 100 percent clean, sustainable energy system at union wages for all displaced workers.
— No to white supremacy, police brutality/murder. End racist mass incarceration. Black Lives Matter
— No human being is illegal. No to mass deportations. Yes to DACA and TPS (Temporary Protective Status)
The U.S. government and its leading Pentagon generals openly and repeatedly threatened nuclear war or massive military intervention against sovereign nations. Such is the case today with North Korea, Iran and Venezuela. Simultaneously, U.S. military forces are at war in several nations including Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Somalia. Hundreds of U.S. military bases circle the globe in more than 170 foreign countries at the cost of $trillions while these same $trillions are subtracted from critical social programs at home. $Trillions in tax cuts and corporate bailouts are granted to the super rich while the war at home takes on virulent racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic and homophobic forms. Join us!
Photo: Hassan Amar / AP